Position Summary/Purpose of Position
University of Maryland’s Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) seeks applicants for a tenure track Assistant/Associate level Professor position in Water Resources (groundwater/surface water hydrology and/or environmental hydraulics). We are seeking applicants with crosscutting expertise in one or more areas of data science and data analytics; climate change; disaster and resilience; public health; global health, and/or sustainable infrastructure systems. Ideal applicants will also have experience and/or demonstrated interest in community engagement, equity, and/or social justice in their research and/or teaching.
All applicants must hold a Ph.D. in Civil or Environmental Engineering or a related field prior to starting.
Candidates should demonstrate the ability to teach effectively at the undergraduate and graduate levels, guide an active scholarly research program, integrate with current research activities, collaborate across discipline boundaries, and obtain funding from competitive external funding agencies. In addition, candidates should be committed to enhancing diversity and inclusion in the field through research and teaching, and would ideally be engaged in activities to promote it.
Applicant must submit writing sample 1-2 published papers
The A. James Clark’s Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering ranks in the top 20 public civil engineering undergraduate programs in the country according to the US News and World Report Rankings. In addition to the MTI center, new centers and institutes that have been established include the Maryland Energy Innovation Institute (MEII), the Robert E. Fischell Institute for Biomedical Devices (REFBDI), and the Quantum Technology Center (QTC). The innovation and entrepreneurship programs on campus recently brought the University to the top 10 in Entrepreneurship Magazine.
The University is located close to NSF, NIH, and other funding agencies, and has strong research ties with government research labs, corporations, and start-ups. The Washington DC area has three major airports and a vibrant culture, is reachable by metro, and has primary and secondary schools that are among the best in the nation. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff who will enhance our stature of preeminence in the three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and the world.
Some notable facts include:
● Received the 8th largest gift in history to a public higher education institution from A. James & Alice B Clark Foundation of $220M. This includes funding to assist faculty and attract and fund first-year domestic Ph.D. students.
● Faculty work with over 60 competitive teams and student societies that are nationally ranked, such as SAE top 20 finish in Baja 2018 Competition, Solar Decathlon 1st place in US in 2017, and 1st in American Helicopter Society Student competition.
● 2 NAE members affiliated with Civil and Environmental Engineering.
● Dedicated external relations staff to help promote faculty research, which has been featured on covers of Washington Post, New York Times, CNN, ABC, Fox News, People Magazine.
● Opened Clark Hall in January 2018 with almost 40,000 sq. ft of lab space and an innovation lab for capstone design projects and student teams.
● The Great College Park initiative is a $1B public-private investment in the town that is the home of UMD. It is creating not only a dynamic and innovative academic environment, but also a vibrant
downtown community with restaurants, new residential units, live music and amenities.
Best Consideration Date: 11/30/22
Position Number: 127788 Apply: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/100856
Position Summary/Purpose of Position