We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will work in the areas of membrane technology and recirculation aquaculture with the Zilberg and Ronen research groups.
The Zilberg group addresses topics related to aquatic health and fish pathogens and the Ronen group works in areas related to membrane filtration and nutrient recovery.
The successful Postdoctoral Research Associate will support both groups in a project related to the water-food-energy nexus and will work independently and with graduate students and senior technical staff toward developing and optimizing an electrochemical membrane contactors system coupled to a large recirculating aquaculture system (RAS). The goal of the electrochemical system is to remove and recover ammonia from the wastewater and to disinfect them from bacteria and parasites.
In addition, they will collect data from the system and the literature that will allow the development of a techno(enviro)economic analysis, addressing the energy and environmental impacts of the developed system. The candidate will be also responsible for modeling ammonia transport through the system using numerical tools and statistical analysis of datasets, data visualization, presentation to a variety of audiences, and publication of peer-reviewed papers.
• A Ph.D. in Environmental / Chemical Engineering completed within the last 5 years.
• Background in membrane filtration (theory and fabrication) and electrochemistry
• Basic background in Aquaculture
• High technical abilities (developing large-scale system using python, and Arduino with pumps and sensors)
• Quantitative and analytical Ph.D. research background which can be applied to conduct research analysis on the developed system
• Excellent oral and written communication skills to make weekly presentations and to prepare reports, proposals, and publications/journal articles.
• Knowledge in microbiology (plating, etc.).
• Proficiency in the use of modeling and simulation tools, such as COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS.
• Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
The position is at the Jacob Blaustein Institutes for Desert Research (BIDR), a part of Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Sde Boker campus - ISRAEL
For more information, please send a short research statement and CV to Dr. Avner Ronen firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof. Dina Zilberg email@example.com