The College of Engineering at North Dakota State University (NDSU) invites applications and nominations for the position of Chair of the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering (CCEE). The Chair reports to the Dean of the College of Engineering and is responsible for administrative, budgetary, and personnel decisions within the Department. Position responsibilities include overseeing curriculum and accreditation issues, facility planning and program implementation. The Chair will facilitate a collegial and productive work environment for a diverse group of faculty, staff and students. The Chair is expected to lead the faculty to strengthen educational and research programs, while serving as a mentor and evaluator of the faculty. Promotion and growth of the four undergraduate degree programs in the department will be an important focus. The Chair is responsible for building relationships with Industry Advisory Boards, other industry partners and alumni to generate mission-aligned revenue.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative and visionary leader who is committed to transparency and strives for excellence in education and research programs. The candidate should understand the importance of enhancing the diversity and inclusion of the department’s faculty, staff and students. Candidates are expected to have teaching and research experience and accomplishments deserving appointment as a tenured full professor. The position will be a full time, 11-month appointment at the rank of professor.
The CCEE Department has approximately 500 undergraduates and 75 graduate students, and 22 full-time faculty members. It offers bachelor’s degrees in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, Construction Management, and Environmental Engineering along with a doctoral degree in Civil Engineering and several masters programs. Faculty also participate in two interdisciplinary graduate programs: Environmental and Conservation Sciences, and Materials and Nanotechnology. Our student chapters of professional societies are active at the regional and national levels and have won several national awards. NDSU has been designated as an R1 research institution by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, and the department has strong research programs with recent growth in annual research expenditures. Additional information about the department can be found at www.ndsu.edu/ccee/.
North Dakota State University is an Equal Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, as applicable. As an NSF ADVANCE institution, women and people from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. This position is exempt from North Dakota Veterans’ Preference requirements.
- Ph.D. in civil engineering, construction engineering, construction management, environmental engineering, or a related field.
- A record of excellent scholarship, education, and professional service in the field of civil engineering, construction engineering, construction management, or environmental engineering deserving appointment as tenured full professor at NDSU.
- Demonstrated leadership experience including bringing diverse perspectives together in a collaborative manner.
- Commitment to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education.
- Effective oral and written communication skills with internal and external constituents.
- Commitment to enhancing the diversity of the department's faculty and students.
- Experience in an academic leadership position.
- Demonstrated budgetary experience including strategic allocation of financial resources.
- A demonstrated commitment and aptitude for growing student enrollment through recruitment and retention initiatives.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) or Certified Professional Constructor (CPC).
- Experience with ABET and/or ACCE accreditation.
- Engineering or construction industry experience relevant to the department.