The Missouri University of Science and Technology invites applications from exceptional, visionary leaders to the role of Founding Director of the Kummer Institute Center for Resource Sustainability. The Founding Director will lead catalytic research initiatives that translate discovery and innovation for the benefit of society. The successful candidate will achieve this work by driving interdisciplinary research efforts that build upon the current strengths of the institution, leading and mentoring faculty colleagues on these projects, and pursuing innovative new partnerships with industry, government, non-profit and/or higher education collaborators.
As a result of the Founding Director’s efforts, Missouri S&T will gain international prominence in the area of resource sustainability. The Founding Director will serve as a leading voice at Missouri S&T in resource sustainability research and will also be recognized as an international leader within their scholarly field.
About the Kummer Institute
Missouri University of Science and Technology, one of the nation’s top technological research universities, is ambitiously building upon its tradition of producing highly qualified talent and innovative research, educational, and technological solutions for the great challenges of our time. Missouri S&T is part of the University of Missouri System and currently enrolls over 7,000 graduate and undergraduate students in more than 100 degree programs. The university receives frequent recognition as a leading institution for engineering education, applied learning, return on investment, and online learning.
Missouri S&T is experiencing dramatic growth as a result of historic public and private investments into the institution. Following the receipt of a $300 million private gift by June and Fred Kummer in 2020, Missouri S&T has established the Kummer Institute to drive the expansion of student scholarships, improvements to campus infrastructure, and enhancements to the institution’s research profile. A portion of the gift will support the establishment of four new research centers at Missouri S&T with a focus on Artificial Intelligence and Autonomous Systems, Advanced Manufacturing, Advanced and Resilient Infrastructure, and Resource Sustainability.
These research centers will elevate Missouri S&T’s reputation, position S&T as an international leader in these respective fields, and leverage, build and grow academic-industry-government partnerships to transform the economy of the region. To succeed in these aims, the university is seeking dynamic and visionary leadership for the Kummer Institute research centers.
The Founding Director is charged with building and leading successful interdisciplinary teams of faculty, industry, and government or non-profit partners and associated technical or administrative staff, with a focus on the development of emerging technologies toward market readiness. Partnerships with industry stakeholders will be particularly important to the success of the Director in service to the Kummer Institute’s broader goals of enhancing economic development within the surrounding region.
The Director will develop a transformational vision for the center that leverages existing campus resources and faculty strengths in areas such as renewable energy, clean water, mining, and critical minerals, while identifying opportunities to lead Missouri S&T students and faculty toward international prominence for the science and engineering of resource sustainability. The Founding Director will hold a faculty appointment within a department at Missouri S&T that aligns with their area(s) of expertise, although their primary focus will be upon the administrative duties of center leadership.
Successful applicants for the Founding Director position will:
- Be recognized as an international leader in the broad area of resource sustainability, including, but not limited to: critical minerals, sustainable energy, clean water supply, waste valorization or minimization, environmental impacts, design for human and ecological health, biogeochemistry, or related areas.
- Possess the technical expertise and prior accomplishments necessary to make Missouri S&T a global leader in one or more of these areas.
- Demonstrate prior evidence of establishing a vision, building relationships with industry partners, and establishing coalitions of university and/or government stakeholders to work toward strategic goals in complex, changing environments.
- Build inclusive teams that foster professional development and mentorship, facilitate cooperation and teamwork, and support constructive resolution.
- Hold an unwavering commitment to student success through exceptional research, mentorship, instruction, and career placement activities.
- Must have strategic leadership skills, including the demonstrated ability to develop and enact a vision for the Kummer Institute Center for Resource Sustainability that enhances multi-disciplinary research activity within the university, attracts new external partners, and elevates the stature of Missouri S&T
- Must have demonstrated experience leading highly-collaborative research initiatives, including the coordination of large research grants with diverse partners in academe, industry, and government or non-profit organizations
- The successful applicant will hold a faculty appointment at Missouri S&T, with tenure, in an academic department related to the center activities, and must possess the credentials necessary for such an appointment
The priority review deadline for this position is Thursday, September 15, 2022. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter outlining their qualifications and vision for this role, a curriculum vitae, and a separate statement about their leadership qualifications. Finalists will be asked to submit contact information for at least four references.
Applications may be submitted directly using the link below or uploaded to the Missouri S&T Careers page at hr.mst.edu/careers/. Candidate inquiries about this role may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The final candidate is required to provide copies of official transcript(s) for any college degree(s) listed in application materials submitted. Copies of transcript(s) should be provided prior to the start of employment. In addition, the final candidate may be required to verify other credentials listed in application materials.
Failure to provide official transcript(s) or other required verification may result in the withdrawal of the job offer.
All job offers are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America.
The University's nondiscrimination policy applies to any phase of its employment process, any phase of its admission or financial aid programs, or other aspects of its educational programs or activities. Further, this policy applies to sexual violence or sexual harassment, both forms of sex discrimination, occurring within the educational program and instances occurring outside of the educational program if the conduct negatively affects the victim’s educational experience or the overall campus environment.
Any person having inquiries concerning the application of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 or other civil rights laws should contact the Title IX Coordinator.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: