The Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering at Iowa State University is seeking candidates for a Postdoctoral Research Associate position in Environmental Engineering. The postdoc researcher will work primarily with Dr. Kaoru Ikuma on a >$3M EPA-funded research project on accelerating water reuse in small communities with a focus on water security and justice. The main duties include assistance in project management across 3 institutions (ISU, University of Rhode Island, UC Berkeley) and 11 PIs, leading community-based research, conducting laboratory/pilot experiments and water quality analyses with a focus on pathogens, and disseminating results.
There will be opportunities to mentor undergraduate and graduate students and contributing to writing grant proposals. In addition, depending on performance and productivity, the postdoc may be involved in multiple research projects in environmental microbiology, biotechnology, and/or environmental justice.
The successful candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills and will be expected to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences. The appointment will be for one year with the possibility for multi-year extension depending on job performance.
Required qualifications: Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in publishing peer-reviewed scientific papers in high quality journals.
- Extensive experience with water quality analyses. Deep experience with pathogen or indicator organism detection/monitoring is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience with project management.
- Experience or strong interest in community-based research approaches.
- Experience or strong interest in environmental justice research.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience or strong interest in communicating scientific information to the general public.
The position can start as early as September 1, 2022 and will be open until filled. Applicants should send a cover letter detailing their interests and qualifications (as per required/preferred qualification list), full CV, and a list of at least 3 references to Dr. Ikuma (firstname.lastname@example.org) for initial screening.