LOCATION OF THIRD WORKSHOP: Virginia Tech Research Center, Arlington, VA
AEESP Workshop organizers have negotiated a special room rate at the Holiday Inn Ballston under the ‘Virginia Tech Workshop’ room block. Rooms in this block will be held until April 27, 2016. The Holiday Inn Ballston is about a 5-minute walk from the Virginia Tech Research Center building.
Holiday Inn Ballston
4610 N. Fairfax Drive
Arlington, VA 22203
$226 per night + taxes
METRO / AIRPORTS / DRIVING DIRECTIONS / PARKING:
The Virginia Tech Research Center is located in Arlington, Virginia, about 5 miles west of downtown Washington, DC. It is easily accessible via Washington's Metro system, about a 5-minute walk from the Ballston-MU station servicing the Silver and Orange Lines. Workshop participants arriving in DCA may transfer directly to the Metro Blue line at the airport, then transfer at Rosslyn Station onto either the Orange Line (to Vienna) or Silver (to Wiehle Aveue) via the lower level platform. Participants arriving at Dulles may utilize the Washington Flyer Silver Live Express bus service from the airport to Wiehle Avenue station for transfer onto the Silver Line direct to Ballston-MU station.
For drivers, the Virginia Tech Research Center is located about two blocks off Exit 71 along I-66. *Warning: Drivers should allow yourself extra time to reach your destination, as Northern Virginia roadways and main arteries into and out of the District (including I-66) can be very congested at any time of the day or evening.
The two closest airports servicing Northern Virginia are Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) and Dulles International Airport (IAD).
Driving Directions from DCA (via MapQuest):
From DCA (6.6 mi):
- Head north on National Airport Access Road toward Smith Blvd. (0.52 mi)
- Take George Washington Memorial Parkway North. (1.03 mi)
- Take I-395 South toward Richmond (0.16 mi)
- Stay in left lane / take I-395 S/US 1S ramp toward Boundary Channel/North Pentagon Parking (0.02 miles)
- Keep straight to take the ramp toward Boundary Channel / North Pentagon Parking (0.03 mi)
- Merge onto I-395 S toward Boundary Chabbel / North Pentagon Parking (0.57 mi)
- Merge onto VA-27 S / Washington Blvd. S via Exit 8A toward S. Arlington Ridge Road / VA-244/Columbia Pike (2.9 mi)
- Slight left onto 10th Street N. (0.37 mi)
- Slight left onto Fairfax Drive (0.92 mi)
- Holiday Inn Ballston is first left after Glebe Road.
Driving Directions to IAD (via MapQuest):
From IAH (20.8 mi.):
- Go north on Saarinen Circle toward Dulles Access Road East. (0.05 mi)
- Stay straight to enter Dulles Access Road East
- Stay straight on Dulles Access toward I-66 East (16.61 mi)
- Dulles Access merges with I-66 east; continue on I-66 east to Exit 71 (3.66 mi)
- Holiday Inn Ballston is first right upon exiting the I-66 ramp (take a right at the traffic light).
*Parking is available for hotel guests at the Holiday Inn. For participants staying elsewhere, check with your hotel about parking accommodations. A public garage is also available adjacent to the Ballson Common Mall across the street from the Virginia Tech Research Center.
MAY CLIMATE IN WASHINGTON:
Average High: 76°F
Average Low: 56°F
*Late May is a transitional period in Washington from Spring to Summer. On average, May temperatures are mild. But on occasion, it may fluctuate as high as 90F in the day to as low as 50F at night. Precipitation is evenly distributed throughout the year. May thunderstorms may be severe. So check the local forecast ahead of your travel and plan accordingly.