Requisition Id 8534
The Biodiversity and Sustainable Systems Section (BSS) within the Environmental Sciences Division(ESD), http://www.esd.ornl.gov at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), http://www.ornl.gov is seeking a technical professional to support research and operational activities in aerosol science and technology areas. You will join the Environmental Risk and Energy Analysis Group in supporting the development of advanced aerosol collection, sampling and analyses technologies while working with an interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists in laboratory and field projects. Ongoing research projects focus on the formation chemistry and physics of aerosol particles, aerosol particle signature retrieval, atmospheric particle transport and transformation processes, using experimental and computational approaches.
ESD is an interdisciplinary research and development organization with more than 60 years of achievement in local, regional, national, and international environmental research. Our vision is to expand scientific knowledge and develop innovative strategies and technologies that will strengthen the nation’s leadership in creating solutions to help sustain the Earth’s natural resources. Our scientists conduct research, develop technology, and perform analyses to understand and assess responses of environmental systems at the environment-human interface and the consequences of alternative energy and environmental strategies.
You will have the opportunity to work closely with ORNL engineers and scientists to support aerosol science research and technology development. Responsibilities will include:
- Work independently in performing established laboratory procedures for aerosol sampling, collection, and analysis.
- Work independently in performing established procedures for sampling, collection, and analysis of aerosol in field conditions.
- Perform laboratory tests as needed to assist in developing, modifying, and refining operational and/or experimental procedures.
- Collaborate in the development of new sampling and/or analytical methodologies.
- Participate in planning workflow for laboratory or field work, including establishing priorities within and between projects, and determining the best direction of the efforts for various experiments, tests, and analyses.
- Document laboratory activities in appropriate notebooks, electronic spreadsheets, and/or word processing files.
- Maintain QA/QC control charts; prepare standards to assess QC performance.
- Aid in developing and presenting laboratory results for publications, presentations, and program reviews.
- Obtain and maintain all ORNL training requirements for a radiation worker.
- Utilize computers in instrumentation operation, data reporting, analytical calculations, and sample management.
- Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, health, and quality program requirements.
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- Travel for field work is required.
- B.S. or M.S. degree in engineering or science with experience in aerosol sampling, collection, and analysis of aerosol particles.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the operation and maintenance of aerosol instruments such as scanning differential mobility analyzer, impactor, optical and condensation particle counter.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the safety practices associated with handling radioactive materials.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory.
- Ability to respond quickly to diverse and shifting demands with sudden deadlines on tight schedules.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate with an international scientific and technical audience.
This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov/.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Please Apply Here: https://jobs.ornl.gov/job-invite/8534/