Dr. Zhijiang Lu’s group in the Department of Environmental Science and Geology at Wayne State University seeks a dedicated postdoctoral associate. The candidate will work on various projects focusing on the environmental fate of plastic additives, pesticides, and other contaminants of emerging concerns. The postdoc will be responsible for laboratory tasks, including analyzing environmental samples using liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry, statistical data analysis, and manuscript writing. Other responsibilities may include assisting with general laboratory operations and supervising students. For more information on Dr. Lu’s research, please visit https://clasprofiles.wayne.edu/profile/hj2758
Required Qualifications & Skills:
1. Ph.D. in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Chemistry, or closely related field.
2. The candidate must not have been employed by or studied at Wayne State University and must have finished his or her doctoral degree within the last year.
3. Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the analysis and fate of organic contaminants in the environment with a demonstrated publication record in these areas.
4. Experience conducting laboratory studies to investigate the fate of organic contaminants.
5. Experience with the analysis of organic contaminants, in particular liquid chromatograph-mass spectrometry (LC-MS).
6. Experience with LC-high-resolution MS (LC-HRMS), in particular, Orbitrap, is preferred but not required.
7. Strong verbal and written skills.
8. Strong problem-solving and organizational skills.
The start date is flexible. A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered. The initial appointment will be for one year. Additional 12-month extensions will be available based on performance. Interested applicants should email their CV, a one- to two-page cover letter indicating research experience, interests, and goals, and contact information for two to three references to Dr. Zhijiang Lu (email@example.com). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Wayne State is a premier, public, urban research university located in the heart of Detroit, Michigan. The WSU police department’s work has created one of the nation’s 50 safest college campuses and resulted in an emergency response time of 90 seconds. Wayne State University, along with the University of Michigan and Michigan State University, compose the University Research Corridor of Michigan. Wayne State is classified among “R1: Doctoral Universities – Very high research activity”. Wayne State University is committed to building and supporting a diverse, inclusive, and equitable community of students and scholars. Wayne State University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.