The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Howard University is seeking an innovative and energetic academic leader to serve as department chair. The successful candidate will possess organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills as well as a distinguished record of scholarly accomplishments and of leveraging academic, corporate, and government partnerships for the benefit of learning and discovery.
We are seeking a forward-thinking and dynamic leader who presents a clear vision for the department. The department chair is charged with leading faculty and staff in advancing the Department's research, teaching, and service mission; and must have a demonstrated commitment to serving diverse students with a broad spectrum of academic preparation. The right individual for this leadership role should have knowledge of the state-of-the art of civil engineering, excellent people skills, be service-oriented collaborate well with colleagues, and possess the ability to motivate faculty, staff, and students toward shared goals.
- Earned doctorate in civil engineering, environmental engineering, or a closely related discipline
- Scholarly record deserving appointment as tenured full professor
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the academic and professional success of historically underrepresented populations in engineering
- Academic leadership amongst peers including personnel management (faculty and staff), resource management (finances, facilities, equipment, etc.), quality academic programming / delivery
- Evidence of original initiatives focused on improving excellence in teaching, research, recruitment, mentoring, student success, and retention
- Interpersonal and communication skills to develop, maintain, and work successfully with faculty, staff, department administrator(s), peer colleagues, students, alumni, donors, and other stakeholders
- Experience developing and advancing philanthropic opportunities, economic development, extramurally funded research, or other fundraising efforts
- A PE license or ability to obtain one
- Experience preparing for ABET evaluation
Howard University, a culturally diverse, comprehensive, research intensive and historically Black private university, provides an educational experience of exceptional quality at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels to students of high academic standing and potential, with emphasis on educational opportunities for Black students providing research and advancement to impact Black communities. Additional information about department is available at https://cea.howard.edu/academics/departments/department-civil-and-environmental-engineering
Complete applications consist of the following:
- Cover letter addressing qualifications listed above;
- Current curriculum vitae;
- A statement of your vision and key initiatives in research, education, and academic leadership for the department not to exceed 3-pages;
- A statement describing your contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion as it relates to enhancing representation of Black professionals in engineering;
- Names and contact information for at least four references who will provide letters upon request from the search committee.
Completed applications should be addressed to the Chair of the search committee: Dr. Ahmed Rubaai and submitted electronically as a single PDF file to CEEFacultySearch@howard.edu. Screening will begin on April 1, 2022 and continue until the position is filled. The search committee will respect the confidentiality of each candidate. The desired starting date is January 2023.