One postdoctoral fellow position in environmental analytical chemistry is available in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Alberta under the supervision of Prof. Mohamed Gamal El-Din. The selected applicant will work on multidisciplinary research projects related to analytical chemistry for applications in environmental sciences and wastewater treatment, including oil & gas process water and municipal wastewater. Applicants with research experiences and publications on environmental chemistry and method development are preferred. Applicants must state the experience of using any type of mass spectrometry in the cover letter.
Primary tasks include analysis of environmental samples, developing sample preparation and instrumental analysis methods for emerging contaminants in a variety of matrices, and assisting graduate students within the research group with chemistry-related research needs. The candidate is expected to carry out respective research using advanced analytical techniques such as Q-TOF-MS and triple-quad MS. It is also expected that the candidate will be able to disseminate the research results through journal publications and conference presentations. The candidate will be expected to assist in the training and mentoring of graduate students, writing research proposals, and assisting in the writing of research papers on water treatment. Teaching experience can be arranged if desired.
The ideal candidate should meet the following qualifications:
- A Ph.D. degree in analytical chemistry, environmental chemistry, or related fields with a strong background in water pollution chemistry;
- Strong experience in gas and/or liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry (UPLC, GC/MS/MS and Q-TOF-MS);
- Strong track record of refereed journal publications;
- Ability to work independently;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Solid knowledge of advanced statistical approaches for analyzing complex datasets is highly desirable; and
- Have completed the Ph.D. within the past five years (i.e., 2017) with a minimum of three first-author papers, in which at least one paper published in a top journal.
The application should consist of a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, 1-2 reprint(s) of your most significant contributions to research (max. 15 pages), and the contact information of three references. Applications will be accepted and considered immediately. Interested candidates should send their application to Dr. Lingling Yang (email@example.com).
The review process will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled; only shortlisted candidates will be notified. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Alberta hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Aboriginal persons.