IIHR – Hydroscience & Engineering (https://www.iihr.uiowa.edu/) at the University of Iowa (https://uiowa.edu/) seeks a highly motivated postdoctoral research scholar to join Dr. Timothy Mattes’ research group (https://www.iihr.uiowa.edu/people/timothy-mattes/). Pay is commensurate with experience. The appointment is full-time for 1 year, with the option for renewal for up to 3 years depending on performance, work needs, and funding. This is an immediate opening with a September 2022 start date. Applications will be considered until a successful candidate is identified. Research will focus on elucidating mechanisms and interactions between dehalogenating microbial communities and black carbon materials that lead to improved bioremediation outcomes in laboratory-scale systems. Key areas of responsibility include: •Work independently on applied research projects with oversight by Principal Investigator (PI) Timothy Mattes.
- Perform experimental investigations to design, develop, test, and validate protocols for characterizing complex chlorinated-ethene respiring anaerobic microbial communities in the presence and absence of black carbon materials as needed.
- Collect, analyze and interpret laboratory chemical, molecular biology (DNA and RNA ‘omics), and microscopy data obtained from an anaerobic dehalogenating microbial community in planktonic form and as a biofilm on material surfaces.
- Perform bioinformatics analysis of targeted and untargeted DNA and RNA sequencing data.
- Serve as a mentor to undergraduate and/or graduate students working on the project.
- Document and report research results to the research team, project sponsor, and in peer-reviewed literature.
Required Qualifications: Ph.D. in a relevant science or engineering field (e.g., Civil & Environmental Engineering, Microbiology, Biotechnology or Bioengineering, etc.) prior to starting this position is required. Experimental research experience in the broad area of environmental microbiology and bioremediation is required. Applicants are required to submit a cover letter and resume/cv with a list of at least three references at https://jobs.uiowa.edu/postdoc/view/3829.